Golden Milk or Turmeric (curcumin) Tea Concentrate – recipe below. ....the drink that could change your life.
Curcumin -- from Turmeric -- is nature's most powerful natural anti-inflammatory agent and a powerful natural anti-oxidant -- and in Golden Milk, turmeric actually tastes great hot or cold!
Research: There is so much extraordinary research currently happening regarding curcumin from turmeric (as in Indian curries). As a former graduate level engineer, scientist and extreme skeptic, I’m asking you to trust my research and experience on this! I have nothing to sell you, I only wish to help you feel much better and be healthier. Drink this wonderful beverage daily, hot or even better cold. As a spice, It also has no ill or bad side effects unlike ALL prescription and OTC drugs. Many people claim prescription drug equivalent pain relief from arthritis and inflammation in joints when consuming bio-available concentrated curcumin -- so what is there to lose in trying it out for two weeks from the recipe below!
Bio-Availability: The secret to curcumin’s bio-availability in the body is that it must be cooked (or boiled as are all Indian curries of which turmeric is the key ingredient). By boiling high quality turmeric powder and/or turmeric root for 15 minutes (available at health food stores and Asian grocers), curcumin’s bioavailability goes from 1% in solution to 12% -- more potent and far cheaper than the myriad of overpriced curcumin supplements on the market that range from $30 to $60 per bottle that may or may not even be bio-available to the body (typically 250, 500, or 750 mg. capsules of curcumin-95). Adding black pepper to turmeric or turmeric-spiced food enhances curcumin’s bioavailability significantly, due to black pepper’s hot property called piperine. By mixing turmeric and black pepper together, you increase your body’s absorption of the turmeric significantly.
Two Weeks: Drink 8 to 10 ounces of this golden milk (cold is also very tasty) each morning for two weeks and you should see a big difference in your joint pain, arthritis pain and discomfort… but drink it for LIFE – it is an elixir of life and has so many extraordinary health benefits, but esp. getting rid of and even repairing the damage and pain caused by arthritis. Try this wonderful concoction and let me know your results. I will not cite my research on curcumin's anti-inflammation properties here, but it is endless – do your own research on turmeric and curcumin for the described health benefits that I am touting… try google search terms such as (curcumin joint pain) or (curcumin inflammation) or (curcumin cancer) or (curcumin arthritis) or (curcumin alzheimers) or (curcumin depression)... note the relevant 2013 and 2014 research articles even from N.I.H., Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Harvard, and so many other great research institutes.
Golden Milk is a wonderful beverage to have in the morning cold or hot and the benefits are extraordinary. The main ingredient in this recipe is turmeric, which contains curcumin, the polyphenol identified as its primary active component and which exhibits over 150 potentially therapeutic activities, which include antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Curcuminoids are believed to alert the DNA in our cells to wake up certain maintenance and immune systems genes, that are then turned on to fix and repair the body in a myriad of ways related to inflammation and oxidation (oxidative stress). Even the master maintenance gene, FOX01 is believed to be activated. Most human disease and dysfunction begins with inflammation and oxidation, so think about the possible benefits short term and long term.
Additional benefits of curcumin:
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antiseptic, analgesic,.
- Boosts immunity.
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels.
- Promotes digestive health.
- Liver detoxifier.
- Regulates metabolism and weight management.
- High blood pressure.
- Memory and brain function.
- Various skin conditions.
- Neurological disorders.
- Lowers Triglycerides
- Anti-carcinogenic (huge area of new research to cease and reverse even most late stage cancers --1.) ingest 4,000 mg. of bio-available curcumin daily -- that's two 500 mg. curcumin-95 capsules, 4 times daily, with meals or food -- each 2 capsules broken up and dissolved in extra virgin olive oil -- a teaspoon or more as needed to dissolve for maximum bio-availability in the bloodstream -- according to Dr. Russell Blaylock, Dr. Mercola and many other research institutes. --2.) Further cut out refined sugar as much as possible and --3.) increase intake cruciferous vegetables for greatly enhanced cancer fighting / cancer killing capability and fruits and vegetables in general) -- see the write-up at the end of this article beyond the images below -- Opinion: How Would I Handle My Cancer Treatment -- Particularly Late Stage or Aggressive Cancer?
A great short and inexpensive book ($2.99) about curcumin and disease -- written by an M.D. and N.D.:
Curcumin: The 21st Century Cure (click on link)
Golden Milk Concentrate Recipe and Instruction:
Step 1: Making Turmeric / Golden Milk Concentrate:
Yield: 3 total cups of concentrate or 48 TBS – 16 servings or a 1/2 month supply at a cup a day! (2 week shelf life, stored in refrigerator).
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 1/2 cup of organic turmeric powder (USDA organic available in bulk from amazon.com)
- 1/8 cup of dried organic ginger powder (USDA organic available in bulk from amazon.com, another great anti-inflammatory)
- 1 teaspoons of ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey (after boiling / reduction) -- optional
Directions for Turmeric / Honey Concentrate:
1. Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a sauce pan – then turn to slow boil.
2. Add all ingredients to slow boiling water, except for honey, and mix well.
3. Maintain a slow boil and whisk/stir periodically as the mixture thickens a bit for 12 to 15 minutes.
4. IMPORTANT: It is important that the water slow boil / cook for 15 minutes to allow the curcumin to go from 1% in solution to 12% in a bio-available solution.
5. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, add the 1/2 cup honey, mix well and allow to cool.
NOTE: if using raw honey, allow mixture to cool to near room temperature before mixing with raw honey.
6. Place in 2 16 oz. glass mason jars and allow to cool then store in refrigerator.
Step 2: Golden Milk (good hot or cold!)
- 1 cup of sweetened almond or soy milk (vanilla soy is my favorites -- hemp, coconut or almond are also good options)
- 2 - 3 TBS (tablespoon) of the turmeric-honey concentrate from mason jar – stir or shake before dispensing concentrate from mason jar).
- Or increase to 3 to 4 TBS of concentrate daily / dose for more severe conditions or winter cold pain -- and/or drink twice per day -- for maximum pain relief and health benefits -- best after or with a meal.
- Optional: 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract (optional) or some cardamom to taste (optional).
- Many folks make a paste with twice the turmeric and ingest the paste with coconut or extra virgin olive oil (some fat helps body to absorb better, faster) -- since the milks listed above do contain some fat, I skip the oils and drink it cold or hot oil free.)
--> Drink Golden Milk in the morning with breakfast as it's tonic effects last about 24 hours....and drink daily allowing 1 week to feel full benefits of inflammatory and arthritis pain relief. Shelf life around 2 weeks stored in the refrigerator)
A great video on golden milk / turmeric tea variations – 11 minutes long – good watch.
Open image links below in new tab or window to better read and view!
-- Particularly Late Stage or Aggressive Cancer?
Curcumin / Turmeric in High Dosages for late stage Cancer Treatment:
So If I were diagnosed with cancer, particularly with any form of late stage, aggressive cancer, and I had exhausted surgical options or had none.... I would certainly not poison my sick body with chemotherapy or radiation. Instead I would nourish it with the healthiest possible foods and liquids imaginable -- I would give it the best elements needed for the bodies amazing chemical and biological God given machinery in our bodies to do their magic.
Instead of poisoning the body with toxic chemicals or treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, each with severe, life destroying side effects, mostly followed by a slow and agonizing death (for late stage cancer), I would nourish, build up, strengthen and heal my sick body using high dosage curcumin (turmeric) therapy and a Superfoods diet -- here's precisely how I would do this based on reading turmeric / curcumin and other health related research articles on cancer and inflammatory disease in general for many years from a variety or reputable sources:
A brief summary of the 3 part approach to stopping, even reversing and even curing aggressive late stage cancers -- all types, no exceptions -- do your own research -- and how to implement it with a Superfoods high dosage curcumin smoothie ingested daily for total nutrition and health - recipe below.
1.) ingest 4,000 mg. of bio-available curcumin daily -- that's two 500 mg. curcumin-95 capsules, 4 times daily, with meals or food -- each 2 capsules broken up and dissolved in extra virgin olive oil -- a teaspoon or more as needed to dissolve for maximum bio-availability in the bloodstream -- according to Dr. Russell Blaylock, Dr. Mercola and many other research institutes and individual researchers.
2.) Further cut out all refined sugar as much as possible as sugar massively fuels cancer cell growth. Sugar from fruit does not apply -- eat plant based whole foods as much as possible and particularly follow and anti-inflammatory diet which is primarily vegetarian or vegan to your best ability.
3.) increase intake of cruciferous vegetables for greatly enhanced cancer fighting / cancer killing capability (and fruits and vegetables in general)
- Arugula / Bok choy / Broccoli / Brussels sprouts
- Cabbage / Cauliflower / Collard greens / Horseradish
- Kale / Radishes / Rutabaga / Turnips / Watercress / Wasabi
More about cruciferous vegetables and cancer: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cruciferous-vegetables-fact-sheet
So Here's How You Do It!
Superfoods and Curcumin Smoothie from your Organic Kitchen:
How to implement the regimen described above effectively, easily and daily for yourself or your sick loved one --- we are going to make a Turmeric / Curcumin Superfoods Smoothie each morning, for complete daily nutrition, complete daily caloric needs, complete daily liquid needs and complete cancer therapy, in my opinion and of those of many global researchers. Use fresh and organic ingredients as much as possible.
Recipe: Using a Vitamix Blender or Equivalent, and 4 glass Ball canning jars with lids -- 16 oz -- blend the following ingredients or equivalent each morning storing contents in the glass Ball jars and give to yourself or sick loved 4 to 8 drinks servings each day until all 64 ounces are consumed. Make a new fresh batch each day -- 2 quarts or 64 ounces.
1. Coconut water as a base liquid -- no sugar added -- 1/4 blender full - provides important electrolytes to stave off dehydration.
2. organic hemp, almond or soy milk as a second base liquid -- 1/4 blender full -- provides some fats, phytochemicals, protein and calories needed to nourish the sick body.
3. Eight 500 mg. curcumin-95 capsules -- high quality -- totals 4000 mg.'s needed daily in 4 doses.
4. A quality probiotic capsule -- 2 daily doses -- for gut flora and good bacteria needed by the body.
5. Some high quality organic soy yogurt -- again for good gut bacteria
6. Cruciferous vegetables -- organic when possible -- try a handful of mixed kale, chard, cabbage, arugula and watercress or any from the list above. -- very powerful additive anti-cancer properties. Dark greens have lots of vegetable protein as well.
7. Sweet fruits -- mix and match -- such as organic apple slices, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, wheat grass, mango, peach, etc... organic always best! this balance the green smoothie and adds wonderful natural whole food sweetness for taste.
8.. Black Pepper - 1 teaspoon - quality, fresh. -- very important to slow down the absorption of vital nutrients in the colon -- such as curcumin -- which is not so easily absorbed (bio-absorption).
9. Ground Flax Seed and/or Chia or Hemp seeds -- a couple of TBS's -- for fiber and Omega 3,6 needed for the body. -- additional vegetable protein source as well.
10. Organic Ginger powder -- 2 TBS -- another powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
11. Coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil --- 2 TBS -- important for fat calories for the sick person and additionally to help the bio-absorption of the curcumin into the body.
12. Mixed raw nuts -- a small handful for protein and calories.
13. Sea salt -- 1 tsp. -- for essential minerals needed by the body.
14. Raw honey if necessary for taste (unpasteurized, unprocessed, unrefined). Only if your loved one doesn't like the taste of the smoothie -- re-blend with a couple of TBS's of raw honey for better taste or organic agave nectar.
Add more or less liquids as desired for consistency and thickness to taste. This is but one variation - mix and match being sure to maintain the essential ingredients needed for complete, plant based whole foods nutrition and medicine each day.
It is important that they drink all 64 ounces each day, even if they eat or drink nothing else, this will provide complete daily needs of food, calories, nutrition and liquid, essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and medicine/healing.
Organic green tea with raw honey as a morning drink or cold drink to supplement this superfood curcumin smoothie is also excellent as would be organic coffee with healthy creamers such as organic soy or almond based.
Best wishes on this sensible health based journey rather than a life destroying one that simply is designed to make patients sick and doctors rich. Love.
Science Confirms Turmeric As Effective As 14 Pharmaceutical Drugs
Turmeric is one the most thoroughly researched plants in existence today. Its medicinal properties and components (primarily curcumin) have been the subject of over 5600 peer-reviewed and published biomedical studies. In fact, our five-year long research project on this sacred plant has revealed over 600 potential preventive and therapeutic applications, as well as 175 distinct beneficial physiological effects. This entire database of 1,585 ncbi-hyperlinked turmeric abstracts can be downloaded as a PDF at our Downloadable Turmeric Document page, and acquired either as a retail item or with 200 GMI-tokens, for those of you who are already are members and receive them automatically each month.
Given the sheer density of research performed on this remarkable spice, it is no wonder that a growing number of studies have concluded that it compares favorably to a variety of conventional medications, including:
· Lipitor/Atorvastatin (cholesterol medication): A 2008 study published in the journal Drugs in R & D found that a standardized preparation of curcuminoids from Turmeric compared favorably to the drug atorvastatin (trade name Lipitor) on endothelial dysfunction, the underlying pathology of the blood vessels that drives atherosclerosis, in association with reductions in inflammation and oxidative stress in type 2 diabetic patients. [i] [For addition curcumin and ‘high cholesterol’ research – 8 abstracts]
· Corticosteroids (steroid medications): A 1999 study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research found that the primary polyphenol in turmeric, the saffron colored pigment known as curcumin, compared favorably to steroids in the management of chronic anterior uveitis, an inflammatory eye disease.[ii] A 2008 study published in Critical Care Medicine found that curcumin compared favorably to the corticosteroid drug dexamethasone in the animal model as an alternative therapy for protecting lung transplantation-associated injury by down-regulating inflammatory genes.[iii] An earlier 2003 study published in Cancer Letters found the same drug also compared favorably to dexamethasone in a lung ischaemia-repurfusion injury model.[iv] [for additional curcumin and inflammation research – 52 abstracts]
· Prozac/Fluoxetine & Imipramine (antidepressants): A 2011 study published in the journalActa Poloniae Pharmaceutica found that curcumin compared favorably to both drugs in reducing depressive behavior in an animal model.[v] [for additional curcumin and depression research – 5 abstracts]
· Aspirin (blood thinner): A 1986 in vitro and ex vivo study published in the journalArzneimittelforschung found that curcumin has anti-platelet and prostacyclin modulating effects compared to aspirin, indicating it may have value in patients prone to vascular thrombosis and requiring anti-arthritis therapy.[vi] [for additional curcumin and anti-platelet research]
· Anti-inflammatory Drugs: A 2004 study published in the journal Oncogene found that curcumin (as well as resveratrol) were effective alternatives to the drugs aspirin, ibuprofen, sulindac, phenylbutazone, naproxen, indomethacin, diclofenac, dexamethasone, celecoxib, and tamoxifen in exerting anti-inflammatory and anti-proliferative activity against tumor cells.[vii] [for additional curcumin and anti-proliferative research – 15 abstracts]
· Oxaliplatin (chemotherapy drug): A 2007 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that curcumin compares favorably with oxaliplatin as an antiproliferative agenet in colorectal cell lines.[viii] [for additional curcumin and colorectal cancer research – 52 abstracts]
· Metformin (diabetes drug): A 2009 study published in the journal Biochemitry and Biophysical Research Community explored how curcumin might be valuable in treating diabetes, finding that it activates AMPK (which increases glucose uptake) and suppresses gluconeogenic gene expression (which suppresses glucose production in the liver) in hepatoma cells. Interestingly, they found curcumin to be 500 times to 100,000 times (in the form known as tetrahydrocurcuminoids(THC)) more potent than metformin in activating AMPK and its downstream target acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC). [ix]
Another way in which turmeric and its components reveal their remarkable therapeutic properties is in research on drug resistant- and multi-drug resistant cancers. We have two sections on our site dedicated to researching natural and integrative therapies on these topics, and while there are dozens of substances with demonstrable efficacy against these chemotherapy- and radiation-resistant cancers, curcumin tops both lists:
· Cancers: Drug Resistant
· Cancers: Multi-Drug Resistant
We have found no less than 54 studies indicating that curcumin can induce cell death or sensitize drug-resistant cancer cell lines to conventional treatment.[x]
We have identified 27 studies on curcumin’s ability to either induce cell death or sensitize multi-drug resistant cancer cell lines to conventional treatment.[xi]
Considering how strong a track record turmeric (curcumin) has, having been used as both food and medicine in a wide range of cultures, for thousands of years, a strong argument can be made for using curcumin as a drug alternative or adjuvant in cancer treatment.
Or, better yet, use certified organic (non-irradiated) turmeric in lower culinary doses on a daily basis so that heroic doses won’t be necessary later in life after a serious disease sets in. Nourishing yourself, rather than self-medicating with ‘nutraceuticals,’ should be the goal of a healthy diet. [learn more at Sayer Ji’s new collaborative project EATomology]
· [i] P Usharani, A A Mateen, M U R Naidu, Y S N Raju, Naval Chandra. Effect of NCB-02, atorvastatin and placebo on endothelial function, oxidative stress and inflammatory markers in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, parallel-group, placebo-controlled, 8-week study. Drugs R D. 2008;9(4):243-50. PMID: 18588355
· [ii] B Lal, A K Kapoor, O P Asthana, P K Agrawal, R Prasad, P Kumar, R C Srimal. Efficacy of curcumin in the management of chronic anterior uveitis. Phytother Res. 1999 Jun;13(4):318-22. PMID: 10404539
· [iii] Jiayuan Sun, Weigang Guo, Yong Ben, Jinjun Jiang, Changjun Tan, Zude Xu, Xiangdong Wang, Chunxue Bai. Preventive effects of curcumin and dexamethasone on lung transplantation-associated lung injury in rats. Crit Care Med. 2008 Apr;36(4):1205-13. PMID: 18379247
· [iv] J Sun, D Yang, S Li, Z Xu, X Wang, C Bai. Effects of curcumin or dexamethasone on lung ischaemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Cancer Lett. 2003 Mar 31;192(2):145-9. PMID: 18799504
· [v] Jayesh Sanmukhani, Ashish Anovadiya, Chandrabhanu B Tripathi. Evaluation of antidepressant like activity of curcumin and its combination with fluoxetine and imipramine: an acute and chronic study. Acta Pol Pharm. 2011 Sep-Oct;68(5):769-75. PMID:21928724
· [vi] R Srivastava, V Puri, R C Srimal, B N Dhawan. Effect of curcumin on platelet aggregation and vascular prostacyclin synthesis. Arzneimittelforschung. 1986 Apr;36(4):715-7. PMID:3521617
· [vii] Yasunari Takada, Anjana Bhardwaj, Pravin Potdar, Bharat B Aggarwal. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents differ in their ability to suppress NF-kappaB activation, inhibition of expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and cyclin D1, and abrogation of tumor cell proliferation.Oncogene. 2004 Dec 9;23(57):9247-58. PMID: 15489888
· [viii] Lynne M Howells, Anita Mitra, Margaret M Manson. Comparison of oxaliplatin- and curcumin-mediated antiproliferative effects in colorectal cell lines. Int J Cancer. 2007 Jul 1;121(1):175-83. PMID: 17330230
· [ix] Teayoun Kim, Jessica Davis, Albert J Zhang, Xiaoming He, Suresh T Mathews. Curcumin activates AMPK and suppresses gluconeogenic gene expression in hepatoma cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009 Oct 16;388(2):377-82. Epub 2009 Aug 8. PMID: 19665995
· [x] GreenMedInfo.com, Curcumin Kills Drug Resistant Cancers, 54 Abstracts
· [xi] GreenMedInfo.com, Curcumin Kills Multi-Drug Resistant Cancers: 27 Abstracts.